SAMU First Response is a global medical and social nonprofit organization that provides immediate humanitarian relief to vulnerable populations using a comprehensive and culturally competent approach. Given the migration crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border, SAMU First Response will be opening an Emergency Respite Center in Rockville, MD to address the acute needs of asylum seekers and migrants passing through the DC area. SAMU will work with local government and partner organizations to ensure that newcomers have access to comprehensive services, including food, clothing, hygiene facilities, respite, and medical/legal support as they travel to their destination.
The Respite and Logistics Specialist is responsible for organizing and executing day-to-day operations in the Respite Center. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that day-to-day respite logistics run smoothly.
- Communicating and coordinating with vendors regarding supplies and deliveries.
- Managing and directing volunteers assisting with center logistics.
- Supporting procurement of center supplies and maintaining appropriate documentation on file.
Overseeing and managing inventory.
- Assisting with planning and set-up of Respite Center space.
- Organizing clothing and supplies, and ensuring that items are distributed in an efficient manner.
Identifying gaps/trends and providing recommendations to the Deputy Director.
- Communicating with newcomers and colleagues in a professional, respectful, and constructive manner.
- Treating newcomers with dignity and upholding confidentiality at all times.
- Flexibility to work in different settings including the field.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or relevant discipline and 3 years of relevant experience
Fluency in English and a second language (preferably Spanish, French, or Portuguese).
- Prior experience working with asylum seekers, immigrants, refugees, or other marginalized populations preferred.
- Computer proficiency and data entry experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Must be vaccinated for COVID-19 including boosters.
- Able to work in-person in Rockville, MD or elsewhere in the DMV, if necessary.
- Use of manual dexterity, tactile, visual, and audio acuity.
- Use of repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands.
- Occasional lifting (up to 25 pounds), bending, pulling, and carrying. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SAMU First Response is an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. SAMU does not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws.