About SAMU First Response
SAMU First Response is a global medical and social nonprofit organization that provides immediate humanitarian relief to vulnerable populations using a comprehensive and culturally competent approach. Grupo SAMU, our European branch, has over 40 years of experience successfully responding and delivering assistance to communities experiencing complex crises.
Given the migration crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border, SAMU First Response will be opening an Emergency Respite Center in Rockville, MD to address the acute needs of asylum seekers and migrants passing through the DC area. SAMU will work with local government and partner organizations to ensure that newcomers have access to comprehensive services, including food, clothing, hygiene facilities, respite, and medical/legal support as they travel to their destination.
Role and Responsibilities
The Night Service Specialist is responsible for overseeing the Respite Center during overnight shift hours, providing support to newcomers as needed and ensuring that any issues are resolved promptly.
- Monitoring the Respite Center during overnight hours and providing first aid support to newcomers.
- Providing basic information and orientation to newcomers, alerting Service Specialists and managers when newcomers require referrals and orientation.
- Notifying logistics team of any urgent/ongoing needs or issues, maintaining record keeping/inventory.
- Communicating and coordinating with appropriate local entities in the case of emergencies/urgent needs.
- Providing guidance and oversight to the overnight security team, as needed.
- Ensuring that newcomers sign required Respite Center paperwork in regards to arrivals, departures, etc.
- Ensuring that newcomers return Respite Center property (i.e. towels, bedding, toys, etc) and complete Satisfaction Surveys before departure.
- Updating daily logs and reports, compiling reports of shifts in organized manner, completing night inventory tasks, documenting any incidents and ongoing matters.
- Escalating urgent issues to direct supervisor or a member of the leadership team.
- coordinating and overseeing orderly use of showers and other facilities, as needed.
- Receiving deliveries including laundry, or washing bedding, towels, and clothing (folding/organizing items).
- Distributing clothes, hygiene items, snacks, and other supplies/materials according to Respite Center protocols and newcomer needs, when needed.
- Coordinating and overseeing orderly use of facilities, maintaining an organized and clean Center space at all times (including the children’s area/toys).
- Making small purchases of goods or accompanying for overnight services, and retaining/providing copies of receipts, as approved by direct supervisor and/or other designated staff member, when needed.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or relevant discipline and 3 years of relevant experience, or Masters and at least 1 years of relevant experience.
- Fluency in English and a second language (preferably Spanish, French, or Portuguese)
- Prior experience working with asylum seekers, immigrants, refugees, or other marginalized populations preferred.
- Computer proficiency and data entry experience.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to pass required background checks and health screenings (drugs, alcohol, TB) and able to work in-person within the DMV area
- Must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and able to work in-person within the DMV area, with occasional travel/accompaniment to other locations in the region.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, multicultural environment.
- Punctuality and attendance to all scheduled shifts.
- Communicating with newcomers and colleagues in a professional, respectful, and constructive manner.
- Treating newcomers with dignity.
- Upholding confidentiality at all times.
- Commitment to a safe, harassment and discrimination-free workplace.
- Use of manual dexterity, tactile, visual, and audio acuity.
- Use of repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands.
- Occasional lifting (up to 25 pounds), bending, pulling, and carrying. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send your resume via email to email@example.com with the job title in the heading. Please also indicate your availability to start, should you be offered a position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SAMU First Response is an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. SAMU does not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, 3 domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws.